Kid Gloves

There is a saying in our industry that it is really hard to lose grass in April.  Well, ive reached yet another milestone!  I lost some grass on the first green.  Please scroll back to a post a few weeks ago as to the unfortunate set of circumstances.


Well I had to put the "Kid Gloves" on for the first green.  After aeration the green did not bounce back like I anticipated.  The patches were too thin so we needle tined the green last Thursday and brushed in some seed.  I am starting to see some juvenile seedlings come up now which is promising.

I am hand mowing the green at 3/16ths of an inch which will encourage and support the new growth.  So the first green will putt a little slower in comparison to the other greens. Over the coming weeks I will lower the height of cut as it slowly grows in.

On the topic of height of cut I lowered the rest of the greens down to 1/8 of an inch today.  I will start rolling greens on a more consistent basis so we should see a difference in smoothness and speed in the coming weeks.

We have a brand new view on the 2nd hole!

The sugar maple that Robert Fitzgerald planted in the late 70s was slowly dying off and we were given permission to remove it.  We have replaced it with a very nice swamp oak which likes "wet feet". Sugar maples prefer dry feet which is why it struggled to survive.


Lastly I would like to encourage our members to use the divot container on the practice tee.  The seed will germinate in the containers if not used. 
The practice tee will not grow back in by itself.  Please use the mix and encourage others to use it as well.  Nothing makes more happy than seeing empty divot box containers.

Ill see you out in the fairways!





Comments

Popular Posts